Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Doctor Who Wednesdays: The Empty Child/Rose Tyler

Like many fans of Doctor Who, I have a few favorite episodes that I can watch over and over. I have at least two favorite episodes for each of the new series and a nice handful of favorites from the classic seasons. 

Everyone has a favorite Doctor and favorite companions. In the end I like them all, truly I do. But I have to say Doctor #9 holds a special place in my heart because in my opinion the performance Christopher Eccleston gave to that character brought the series back to life.

The Empty Child and The Doctor Dances are my top two favorites from Series One. I think a big part of it is because it is set in the 1940's during World War II in London. That is just the  backdrop of the story that centers around a young girl who is running from a child with a gas mask who keeps calling for his mummy. Problem is that everyone he touches becomes altered with their own permanent gas mask faces. In the midst of this horror we get to meet for the first time Captain Jack Harkness, played by John Barroman. His character is flirty, clever, smart, and a man of action, not to mention incredibly handsome (swoon!).

Doctor #9's companion is named Rose Tyler, played by Billie Piper. She starts out as this young, average girl who sort of goes through the day without any purpose or deeper meaning and ends up (through mere circumstance or was it?) traveling the stars and seeing life through the Doctor's eyes. To me, by the time The Empty Child episode comes on, Rose is really comfortable and confidant in her role as his companion. She also feels more confidant in herself and her own capabilities.

When the Doctor and Rose land in the middle of the London Blitz, she is wearing this simple but important outfit that I think plays in nicely with the episode. Technically Rose is about nineteen in that episode so like every young woman she wears comfortable yet hip clothing, She isn't terribly stylish but in this episode she tries hard to make her Union Jack t-shirt work for her. I just thought it was so youthful and poignant to wear something like this for an episode set in WWII.
Before I share with you my Rose Tyler outfit I want to share with you some of my DW fashion rules:
  1. You will see in every DW fashion post colors that I picked out from a character's particular outfit. I will either take inspiration from that color palette, attempt to duplicate the outfit, or take inspiration from the outfit/character/episode.
  2. I will allow myself to repeat pieces whenever I post a DW outfit post.
  3. I will work with what I have in my wardrobe.
  4. If I do buy something for my outfit post it HAS to be something that I will wear again. So that means I may not wear a specific cut of a dress or color because it is something I would never wear again minus the post.
  5. Lastly, I will wear a blend of modern and vintage pieces and sometimes just wear modern or just wear vintage. 
I will be following these rules every time I do a fashion post inspired by a film/tv show.

Fashion hasn't always been a fun subject for me but expressing my fashion tastes and choices through the inspiration of a show or film has been super fun for me to do. It has made it so much fun that I am actually enjoying shopping in modern stores again. 

So without further adieu I give you Bunny as Rose Tyler in The Empty Child:


There you have it...the Latina version of Rose Tyler hehe Like I said this outfit is simple and two most important pieces of the outfit were the t-shirt and the hairstyle that she had. Since my hair is wavy, I set my hair to have some softer curls unlike Rose's messy look. That look just wouldn't work for me. But I did like putting my hair up in the front like she had it. I am the sort of girl who doesn't like her hair in her face too much LOL

The rest of the outfit was a pair of good old fashioned blue jeans, the Union Jack t-shirt, a black jacket and some chips. Chips? Oh, I mean fries. Just kidding. But chips (fries) are Rose's favorite snack so I figured I throw in a yummy prop for my shoot.

The jeans were mine from Old Navy, the Union Jack t-shirt was purchased on Ebay here, the black synthetic jacket was purchased on Amazon here, and lastly the UK themed bracelet was scored at Claire's Acessories on sale. I wore it for the fun of it. I love my jacket and you will see me wear it again. I needed a casual jacket and I am not too fond of leather so synthetic leather suited me real well.

There you have it. Some DW fashion fun. Hope you enjoyed it because I sure did. It was a blast. I cannot wait to post the rest. This series won't be entirely dedicated to DW fashion but you will see it often enough.

Who is your favorite Doctor or companion? Are they any outfits you enjoyed seeing on the show?

5 comments:

  1. I JUST re-watched the empty child!! Such a creepy episode. I love you look very fun, I love union jack stuff right now. Oh, and my favorite companion is definitely Donna!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blech sorry about the typos, I haven't finished my coffee yet! That should say "I love your look, it's very fun."

      Delete
  2. love that jacket! Would be super cute with a plaid wool skirt too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look so awesome, dear Bunny! I'm a die-hard anglophile, so naturally I'm gaga for your great Union Jack tee and bracelet (the latter of which I have something quite similar to myself, as well). This is such a cool, creative outfit posts series - can't wait to see what's coming down the Doctor Who pipeline next!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...